Monday, November 14, 2011

Do you think language unites or divides us?


imgres.jpg





    

I think that language can unites people and also can divides too.  First, language unites people if they speak same language because it makes easy to communicate and understand each other.  For example, if we look MCTC students are study as groups most of the time and most groups are people who from same country. Most students like to have anther student that they came from same culture and country. People who speak same language are easy to express themselves or idea for others who speak that language while it is hard to do that if person does not speak your language.  For example, people who came from different countries and came to other countries, they settle one place and the whole community would collect that place; because they want to stay with those people that they can understand and communicate easily. For example, Minneapolis there is a large group of Somali community since everyone wants to live there because of a large number of Somali people.  Therefore, I can say that language can unite people if they speak same language.

On the other hand, language divides people if they do not speak the same language. For example, I remembered that last semester I took intercultural communication class and there were no Somali student accepted me; and that was really difficult to me because I was feeling lonely. Although students were very friendly, I would like to find at least one student who speaks the language that I speak.  Because it made me easy to discuss the class if I did not understand well and helped each other. In the meantime, the “Mother Tongue” for Amy Tan explains that her mother was getting a lot of disrespect because of her limited English. Sometimes, when people note that the person does not speak perfect they don’t treat like others who speak perfect. Therefore, language can join us if people speak same language and separate us if people speak different language. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxUm-2x-2dM you will injoy it.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with u Language can unifies us and divides us it depends on people and who they us it. I also enjoyed laughing at the funny video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very much indeed, we are the same page about the language it divides those who speak different language and don't have common language, on the other hand it unites people who have same language

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree with you. The language in sometimes divide us and unifies us. That depends with the place to. Good job

    ReplyDelete